10 Steps To A Successful Kitchen Renovation
Renovating a kitchen can be an intensely satisfying project; with an enviable result providing you follow some basic rules and guidelines.
As with any renovation project there are things to do before you start. Preparation is the key to a successful kitchen renovation as it is with any job either inside or outside your home. Yes, preparation and planning do take time but both are an essential ingredient for a trouble free and satisfying project. Mistakes are costly as well as time consuming so getting it right before you start is mandatory!
Simplify the process by creating a basic ten-point plan, which you can than break down into more detailed sections. Breaking down your kitchen renovation into manageable smaller bites makes it easier to coordinate your project as well as spot omissions that might otherwise occur.
Remember Mistakes Are Costly And Time Consuming
(1) Prepare a budget. You must set a budget (with a contingency for cost overruns). If you let your ideas run away, you’re almost guaranteed to have additional expenses you didn’t plan for. The cost of fixtures, countertops and cabinets vary widely, so know beforehand what your budget will allow.
(2) Plan on how you will use the kitchen. Is your kitchen a purely functional food prep area or is it an extension of the family room. If it’s a place where family and friends congregate then your decisions on how to design the space will be quite different then if you cook alone.
(3) Kitchen cabinets often take up to half your budget. Decide on what you want to spend and build everything around this. Choose the best you can afford since it will make the end result much more pleasing.
(4) Flooring. Here’s a chance for your creativity to shine. Flooring choices are numerous and include: ceramic, hardwood, vinyl tile, linoleum, laminate, carpet and stone. Each has advantages and disadvantages. Explore the options including color and texture and choose a floor that complements your new cabinets, countertop and paint color.
(5) Choose a theme and stick with it. Working with our kitchen designer will give you a coordinated look. You want to avoid selecting components that look great alone, but clash when placed side by side.
(6) Choose a kitchen design that will stand the test of time, one that you will be happy with for the long haul since most kitchen redesigns only take place every 20 years or even longer.
(7) Lighting plays a big role in today’s modern kitchen and should be given the same attention that all other aspects of your design plan gets. The number of lighting styles available are diverse and vary in price, so do your homework and choose within your budget.
(8) If you have technical and design skills and want to begin to explore kitchen design and layout possibilities, kitchen design software is readily available. Just make sure you select design software that fits your requirements. With a bewildering choice at every stage of planning your project we can’t say this often enough, take your time and choose carefully. The preferred alternative for most London homeowners is to work with our experienced kitchen designer. This choice will ultimately save you time and money and give you the best solution.
(9) The current dimensions and shape of your kitchen will dictate what you can or cannot do with your new kitchen renovation project so you’ll have to use what you have unless you make major structural changes.
(10) Choosing a Contractor should be done with care, attention to your Budget and some references. The stories of the Contractor from Hell are legion… Budget overruns and non completion of projects being the worst scenario you will have to contend with if you make a hurried choice.
We would be pleased to meet with you to show you why hiring Kitchen Cabinets London as your kitchen renovation contractor, is your best option.
Now that you have a blue print for success, refer to these 10 Steps to stay on top of your kitchen renovation project.